Franschhoek has long been adored for its sensational Food & Wine Route, but now there’s even more to delight visitors to this wonderfully diverse and scenic area: the Franschhoek Wine Valley has launched a new route called Franschhoek ‘Rond en Bont’.
What you can now look forward to year-round, is getting out and about – not only in the central town itself, but also in the heart of local communities in neighbouring regions – to experience a colourful array of heritage delights. Taste wine in a local ‘shebeen’ (a fabulous cultural derivative of the original illicit drinking den that sold alcohol without a licence), find funky arts and crafts, and sample traditional food. All in all, you’ll have a varied and cheerful cultural experience.
Some of the highlights:
– Batho’s Place for lipsmacking traditional African cuisine, live entertainment and beer tasting.
– Mary’s Kitchen, a home kitchen on a farm serving up traditional local fare for breakfast and lunch.
– The Whitehouse Shebeen, where Cecil Solwandle – ex sommelier at Reuben’s restaurant – offers highly informative wine tastings.
– The Teesakkie is a tea garden in Groendal, serving morning and afternoon tea amid fruit trees and vegetable patches.
– Artefact is a small pottery studio where you’ll find local artist Vuyisa Potina “Elvis” at work. If you like, you can have a go yourself.
– The Drakenstein Correctional Services is a low-risk prison from which Nelson Mandela walked to freedom.
– Liwalethu Crèche, situated in a home in Mooiwater, will entertain you with children’s singing and dancing.
– Solms-Delta Wine Estate has a museum depicting the social history of the 320-year-old estate.
There is an outstanding choice of upmarket accommodation in Franschhoek. Award-winning Mont Rochelle, with its sprawling vineyard views and excellent, fine-dining Mange Tout restaurant and Country Kitchen, is the perfect base for gourmets and wine lovers. Another superb choice is Cathbert Country Inn on the beautiful slopes of the Simonsberg Mountains just outside the town.
Mail our Getaway Consultants for more information, or call 0860 102 907 (local) or +27 21 797-7122 (international).