No holiday in the Western Cape of South Africa would be complete without visiting at least a few of the small charismatic country towns that add so much appeal to the region. Self-drive visitors in the Western Cape are well advised to hit the road and explore some of our charming country towns once they have had their fill of Cape Town. Enjoy small-town life in picturesque settings, meet the locals, taste good wine, sample local produce, appreciate the creativity of life in our country towns, and stay in fine country hotels.
This picturesque village on the West Coast is one of South Africa’s oldest fishing villages, and a great place to sample the seafood for which the region is well known.
Best Things About Paternoster
- Slow seaside living and leisurely beach walks
- Eating the catch of the day fresh from the ocean
- Quaint whitewashed houses and traditional fishing boats
- Great selection of local crafts and art
- Close proximity to nature reserves
- Carpets of flowers in spring
Hugged by great, strong mountains which get capped with snow in winter, Tulbagh has succeeded in preserving masses of charm and “old-town” beauty, despite the ravaging earthquake of 1969 which is a fascinating chapter in the long life of of this remarkable little town.
Best Things About Tulbagh
- Gorgeous historic buildings in “old-town” Tulbagh
- Great wine cellars to visit
- Horse trails
- Earthquake Museum
- Chocolate tasting
Pretty Wellington is a beautiful spot in the winelands of the Cape, just 45 minutes’ drive from Cape Town and close to the other principal winelands towns. Scenery is breathtaking, culture is plentiful and the wines of the area have chalked up a great many awards.
Best Things About Wellington
- Winning wines
- Chocolate box scenery
- Local distilleries
- Stunning Bainskloof Pass
- Locally produced leather goods
Neat as a new pin, the country town of Montagu oozes charm and appeal. It’s a haven of creativity, outdoor adventure, fine wines and all sorts of locally produced goodies. Vintage car rides enhance the experience even more.
Best Things About Montagu
- Mountain tractor ride
- Wines and dried fruit
- Arts and crafts route
- Hiking trails & rock climbing
- American dream cars
Best Things About Barrydale
- Scenic drives
- Charming streets lined with cute old houses
- Handcrafted jewellery, woven goods & more
- Magpie Art Collective
- Hot springs nearby
- Ronnie’s Sex Shop nearby – don’t be deceived by the name, it’s a friendly pub!
Visit Cape Agulhas and you’ve seen the southernmost tip of Africa where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. Definitely something to add to any bucket list worth its salt! While you’re there, climb the 70+ steps of the lighthouse for fantastic views.
Best Things About Cape Agulhas
- Southernmost tip of Africa
- Amazing lighthouse and views
- Agulhas National Park
- Great hiking trails
- Ocean activities
Prins Albert just has to be one of the most charismatic towns around. Surrounded by vineyards and orchards, the pretty Prins Albert captures the best of Karoo town life and spills over with local arts and culture.
Best Things About Prins Albert
- Access to the one-and-only Swartberg Pass
- Wine and olive tasting
- Local dairy farm
- The Showroom Theatre
- Charming historic architecture
- Local Karoo culture
Mail us to book, or call +27 21 797-7122 (international) or 0860 102 907 (local).