Plotting your next weekend getaway ex Cape Town? Well, one of the ways to leave the static of the city behind you, is to head out – and not too far either, mind you – to gorgeous wine country for some clean, crisp country air and all the good things of life, while nature scoops you up into its soothing peace and beauty. Our recommendation for a serene stay in the countryside of Franschhoek is Angala Boutique Hotel.
20 km outside Franschhoek (a town choc-a-bloc with top-notch eateries, art shops and gift emporiums) you’ll find a wonderful hideaway called Angala Boutique Hotel, which you access via the magnificent Vrede en Lust Wine Estate. Whether it’s a romantic country getaway you’re after, a first-class base for tasting the spoils of the surrounding winelands, or a heavenly spot for a self-retreat and some quiet reflection, Angala is an excellent bet. Small and luxuriously chic, it’s anchored against the sturdy slopes of the Simonsberg, with idyllic views of the surrounding mountains, a glistening dam and the vineyards of a flourishing wine region.
Guest suites have comforts aplenty (there’s also one with a fireplace), and verandahs from which to watch the day dawn, and later, the rosy blush of sunset. All the suites are private and lovely, and they all have a bath and shower. Massages are available, but please book these in advance. Pretty, fragrant gardens have some wonderful hideouts that make perfect resting or meditation spots, where a multitude of birds sing and the odd peacock struts its shimmery stuff.
Magnificent meals are served in an easy atmosphere that speaks of good country living and warm-hearted hospitality. Generous country breakfasts are there to greet you each morning, served outdoors on a patio in fine weather, where you can enjoy nature in all her glory.
Angala has a wonderful eco pool. Take a dip daily and soak up the gorgeous surroundings. Check availability online
It’s a great weekend getaway for locals, but also a fantastic base for visitors who want to explore the winelands. There’s lots to do, so book at least a 3-night stay. Angala’s close enough to the area’s attractions to make them accessible, but far enough away from hustle, bustle, noise and traffic to bring an immediate and palpable sense of peace and quietude.
Check availability at Angala.
Some things to do in the area:
- Wine tasting at Vrede en Lust, established way back in 1688. Your hosts at Cathbert very kindly give you a complimentary voucher for this, do make use of it. Vrede en Lust is also a fabulous place for lunch.
- Open Gardens. From 29-30 October there’ll be 10 magnificent private Franschhoek gardens open for viewing, with other festivities in tandem Read More Proceeds in aid of Fleur de Lis Home for the Aged
- Franschhoek Rond & Bont Read More
- Limietberg Nature Reserve Read More
- Le Bonheur Croc Farm Read More
- Hot-air Ballooning over the Paarl vineyards
- Wine tastings on horseback
- Hiking and biking in the Winelands
- Hillcrest Berry Orchards
- Butterfly World
- Cheetah Park
- Fairview Estate, with its Goat Tower, great wines and cheeses, restaurant and deli
- Stacks of other wine estates close by! More Info
For bookings and getaway info, mail us, or call us on 0860 102 907 (local) or +27 21 797-7122 (international).